Spending 11 hours behind the wheel of a truck doesn’t leave much time to create the perfect healthy lifestyle, but there are some great small steps you can take that will make a huge difference in the long run while going over the road.
Here are our top five tips:
- Avoid truck stop food. This is a double whammy, the food is usually high in sodium and fat and you’re spending money that you could be saving!
- Don’t wear sweatpants! Truck driving means long hours in a sitting position. It can be very tempting, but before you know it that extra weight is there and you can no longer fit into your jeans.
- Buy a cooler and bring your own food. Packing food and eating healthy doesn’t have to be complicated. Start your morning with a protein shake or a whole grain bagel with peanut butter. Eat fruit or choose a trail mix with instead of a bag of chips for snacking. Choosing lean meats like chicken and turkey for sandwiches are just another way to stay healthy and this can also help with your energy level.
- Always take every opportunity to get out of the truck to walk/power walk/jog a few laps and STRETCH, holding it for 15-30 seconds and release it slowly.
- Laugh! Laughter is known for stress relief and who doesn’t enjoy that belly ache from a good laugh? Laughter is known to relax the body and boost our immune system.
For more great tips on exercises, food ideas, and saving money, check out www.healthytrucker.net and drive safe!